AbstractEschatological perspectives in Holy Communion. Eschatology reveals various perspectives concerning Holy Communion. Formulation, definition and the context of Holy Communion in the Scriptures have an eschatological setting. Due to the dovetailing of the old and the new aeon Holy Communion contains an eschatological tension; it projects an eschatological prefiguration; there is an eschatological solidity and adherence in Holy Communion, namely, the God of faith; an eschatological maturing process takes place in and through Holy Communion; there is an eschatological dimension with an existential moment in Holy Communion; there is an eschatological paranese in Holy Communion; eschatology projects an alignment with the judgement of God into Holy Communion and eschatology places Holy Communion in a missiological perspective. The remembrance of the perfecta fulfilled by Christ invokes the futura which is yet to come. The commemorative character of Holy Communion is more than a mere in memoriam of Christ’s death as Mediator. It is a remembrance of Jesus Christ, the risen Lord Himself By virtue of its sacramental nature. Holy Communion as a remembrance supper is a token and seal of the body and blood of the Mediator Jesus Christ the Lord - He who is the Eschatos will come as the Elpidos for time and eternity. This sacramental token and seat is also token and seal of the final eschaton when God will be all in all (cf 1 Cor 15:28).
- Ownership of copyright in terms of the Work remains with the authors.
- The authors retain the non-exclusive right to do anything they wish with the Work, provided attribution is given to the place and detail of original publication, as set out in the official citation of the Work published in the journal. The retained right specifically includes the right to post the Work on the authors’ or their institutions’ websites or institutional repository.
Publication and user license
- The authors grant the title owner and the publisher an irrevocable license and first right and perpetual subsequent right to (a) publish, reproduce, distribute, display and store the Work in any form/medium, (b) to translate the Work into other languages, create adaptations, summaries or extracts of the Work or other derivative works based on the Work and exercise all of the rights set forth in (a) above in such translations, adaptations, summaries, extracts and derivative works, (c) to license others to do any or all of the above, and (d) to register the Digital Object Identifier (DOI) for the Definitive Work.
- The authors acknowledge and accept the user licence under which the Work will be published as set out in https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/ (Creative Commons Attribution License South Africa)
- The undersigned warrant that they have the authority to license these publication rights and that no portion of the copyright to the Work has been assigned or licensed previously to any other party.
Disclaimer: The publisher, editors and title owner accept no responsibility for any statement made or opinion expressed by any other person in this Work. Consequently, they will not be liable for any loss or damage sustained by any reader as a result of his or her action upon any statement or opinion in this Work.
In cases where a manuscript is NOT accepted for publication by the editorial board, the portions of this agreement regarding the publishing licensing shall be null and void and the authors will be free to submit this manuscript to any other publication for first publication.
Our copyright policies are author-friendly and protect the rights of our authors and publishing partners.